Is it possible to celebrate Valentine’s Day on a budget? If your wallet isn’t ready for the romantic day, we are offering some tips on how to enjoy a special time—affordably. Commit to spending a day where money, family issues and other worries are off limits.
- A romantic movie is a good idea, and this can be even more affordable with a DVD rental or a visit to a retro drive-in.
- Take a turn around the rink with ice or roller skating. Spend time together and share some laughs.
- Play your favorite board game or buy a new game to try out.
- Get takeout from a restaurant and dine at home with candles and music.
- Go bowling or visit an arcade.
- Print some of the best photos you have as a couple, frame them, and decide where they will be displayed.
If your Valentine’s Day conflicts with work and home commitments, wait for the weekend and celebrate with daytime activities.
- If the weather cooperates, visit a park, garden or lake. Parks and picnics go together perfectly on a Valentine’s weekend. Be sure to bring chocolates!
- Take a tour. Do you have a local brewery or winery in your area with appealing surroundings? These can be fairly affordable options for an outing.
- Do a weekend in. Enjoy spending time together without having to travel. Skip out on the chores if you can, with each of you choosing an something to do during the staycation.
- Cook up a brunch at home together.
Instead of an expensive gift, agree to give one another ten coupons with loving promises to be redeemed throughout the year. The coupon might say, “I’ll make your favorite meal,” “Here’s two hours of time just for yourself,” or “I’ll handle getting a babysitter so we can spend an afternoon together.” Put the coupons in an attractive jar or box before presenting them to your loved one. Also remember, when you're on a tight budget, that flowers from the grocery store can be beautiful and heartfelt, as well as less expensive than a floral delivery.
When you’re keeping it simple, you can enjoy flavorful, easy-to-mix Micheladas as an alternative to expensive champagne or budget champagne that doesn’t meet your expectations. Make Micheladas as a delicious accompaniment to your Valentine's brunch or dinner at home.
Have a safe and happy Valentine’s Day.