Now that the teams have secured their spots in the Super Bowl, it’s time to plan your get-together. Of course, we recommend starting your shopping list with Don Chelada products. It’s a special day, so why not boost the flavor of your beer? Here are more tips for throwing a fun, affordable party that celebrates the big game:
1. Get ready with colorful décor. Encourage guests to bring their own spirit items if they are rooting for a certain team. Remind them to wear team colors or jerseys. Place a few beer bottles inside football koozies and then use them to decorate a main table.
2. Consider setting up a friendly Super Bowl pool. You can provide a prize as the inspiration for entering. If a pool sounds too complicated, simply have guests guess the final score of the game, and then see who comes closest.
3. A BYOB party will be a more affordable way to entertain, but since beer will probably be the beverage of choice, you could provide some Michelada cups to add to the festive atmosphere. Be sure to also offer water and beverage options without alcohol.
4. For dessert, have a football-themed cake or a dessert that incorporates the teams’ colors. Make football-shaped cookies and pipe frosting laces on them.
5. Tubs of ice or coolers can allow you to have beers and waters unpacked, chilled and ready to go. A bottle opener can be tied to the tub handle.
6. Offer options for personalizing drink cups. Disposable cups are now available that allow party-goers to etch their names directly on their cups by simply using their fingernails.
7. Any coffee or end tables near the television could be subject to drips and spills. Provide game-themed coasters or consider covering tables in team colors.
8. If children are invited, make sure there are activities available for them too, like games and easy football-themed art projects.
9. Sending out e-mail invitations will allow you to have a good count for how many napkins, small plates and glasses will be required. If you would like guests to contribute to the food table or bring their own beer, be sure to let them know in the invitation.
10. To keep greater control over the menu, ask a few close friends to provide specific items, or see if they might come early on game day to pitch in with food preparation. Also be sure to include menu items that can be made the day before.
11. Set up self-serve tables for food and beverages. Organize by appetizer, entrée, dessert and so on. If serving punches, be sure to clearly label alcoholic and non-alcoholic options.
12. Have trash cans and recycle bins available for guests, and score less cleanup time for you!
13. Think ahead about how guests will get home safely. Encourage them to make arrangements for designated drivers and ride share services.
Have a fun and safe Super Bowl LII Sunday!